June 18, 2012

Momma D keeps rolling...

Darbi has had a great year so far...as a mother.

"Meg" (Elmingo's Prime Suspect - Prime x Darbi 2008) and I WON one of the Opens at the trial in Lethbridge, Canada this week-end.

That is 3 Open wins by 3 different dogs, and two different sires, for Momma D.  And those are the only three Darbi get competing in AA competition right now.  Pretty good.

It was a thrill to not only win the Open, but to do it with a dog I bred.

And Miikka was not to be outdone...her son Eider (Elmingo's Pacific Eider - Shaq x Miikka 2007) WON the Qualifying at the same trial.  Way to go Eider!!

Darbi did not have a good week-end.  She was sick with diarrhea all week-end and went out in the first series both days.  We also had a hard time getting her to pick out the long mark in each test (I ran her one day and Kenny ran her the other, both were VERY long marks).  I know her eyesight was going a little, but now it's worrisome.  The CERF vet told me a year or so ago that it was normal "aging" changes we were seeing.  I think her eyes and her body will give out long before her heart does.  It's too soon to tell quite yet, but she's starting to tell me that it's time to think about her retirement.  We'll keep watching for the signs and she'll tell us when she's ready.

Libby had a good week-end for a little baby dog.  She didn't make it to the long retired on the first day, but worked real hard and pulled off the marks to run the blind and ran a really pretty blind!  That's big stuff for a little dog.  In the second Open, she made it to the water blind and unfortunately was the first of our dogs to run it.  We made drastic changes to how we ran the water blind after we (Kenny ran her) picked her up.  Very proud of my little Wibbs...she just keeps growing up more every day.

And Miikka was the highlight of my week-end.  She ran as "bye" dog in one of the Opens and she thought she'd died and gone to heaven.  I won't make it a habit with her (and I only let her get the "go" bird so as not to strain her legs too much), but it was so fun to stand on line beside my little peanut.

No comments: