February 13, 2011

Puppies are here!!

It's been awhile since I worked a night shift.  I had forgotten two things.  1) How exhausting it is and 2) There's nothing on TV other than infomercials in the wee hours.

As predicted earlier today, Darbi had her babies tonight.  There were moments of doubt early this evening though, as her and I had a staring contest that lasted an eternity.  
She did not have the 6-8 I was hoping for and there will be a couple of disappointed people on the waiting list I'm sure.

The delivery went smoothly, although there was a tense moment to start.  Darbi had been in hard labor for almost an hour and I was starting to get worried.  I was minutes away from calling a vet and possibly taking her in for a c-section.  She had been pushing and pushing with no results and we weren't getting anywhere.
Well, out came a little sac.  Then it disappeared and reappeared a few times.  Darbi worked hard for a few minutes, but we weren't making any progress.  So, I just reached in a couple fingers and grabbed some puppy and started to help Darbi out.  I was careful not to pull too hard, but I needed to get that little guy moving.  He came out healthy and strong, and the rest of the pups delivered easily.

So, introducing.

ORANGE: male/born at 10: 24 pm/1 pound
PINK: female/10:42/15 oz.
BLUE: male/11:40/1 pound
YELLOW: female/1:11 am/15 oz.
RED: male/2:41/13 oz.

A nice uniform litter.  Mom and babes are resting comfortably and I'm going to stay up with them the rest of the night.


They are a healthy looking little bunch. 


Darbi is a tired momma.  6 hours from onset of labor until we were done.  She sure worked hard to get the first guy out.

No comments: