February 28, 2011

Good Bye Prime

FC AFC Tartan Prime Time
2001-2011


Prime (left) winning the Amateur at Centennial in 2009.
Darbi (right) getting the second in the Amateur behind Prime.

He was unbeatable that day.  And on many other days.

It's hard to find the words to say how sad I was to hear that Prime passed away 2 days ago.

He was special to me in so many ways.

I first met Prime when I loaded Darbi into my car and made the 16 hour drive to Colorado to breed her to him.  What most impressed me about Prime was his consistency.

I would not know for some time after that breeding, but that road trip changed my life in so many ways.  I got to see Prime every day the past year or so and it was still his consistency that awed me.  He shared a special relationship with his owner Barb and it was an honor to watch them run as a formidable team.

Prime placed in the last Open he ever ran last year and I was there to see it.

He leaves a legacy with many, and most of all in his many "kids".  I was fortunate enough to have 7 great pups by him and although they have big paws to fill, I hope they make their daddy proud.

My heartfelt condolences to Prime's family, Barb & Jim Howard.

No comments: