March 29, 2010

Lonestar Trial

The Horsetooth Team went and ran the Lonestar Trial east of Dallas this past week-end.

The Open was HUGE. Flier at 150 yards, left hand retired at 350 and the long retired at 450 yards. 99 dogs ran this test and only 20 could come up with the birds. I had 2 of the 79 dogs that did not.

Miikka tried her guts out. She has been tense in training, as I mentioned and her hunt patterns had been stiff and she just wasn't relaxing. After pinning the flier, I sent her for the "short" retired and she hunted...and hunted...and hunted. Very relaxed, tail up and working her butt off. She came up with the bird, and I was so darned proud of her effort. I sent her for the long retired and she just didn't punch far enough and ended up hunting in no man's land. I was sure happy with her effort.

Darbi pinned the flier and SMACKED the short retired. She then took a bad line to the long retired that looked like there was no recovery from, so she was handled to the long bird. Again, I was so proud of her effort.

All I ask is that my girls try and try they did.

Darbs and I ran as test dog on the land blind and she gave a great effort again. Good momentum and she took every cast. She looked happy running it.

Next trial is in a few weeks in Kansas.

No comments: