March 9, 2010

Flip Your Lid?

So, Libby's name is final.

Elmingo's Flip Your Lid

How did I come up with such an odd name you ask?

Well, some history.

"Elmingo" is not an original name. It was the name of the racing stable my grandparents had when I was growing up. According to my grandpa, Elmingo was a combination of Flamingo and Elmhurst...two stables they were involved with many years ago.

I am pretty proud to use the name Elmingo as my Grandpa is in the Canadian Thoroughbred Hall Of Fame and there is a Hazel Wright (my grandma) stakes race in Canada. My grandparents introduced me to my love of horses, and I am still a big horse racing fan to this day. (Hint: both Zenyatta AND Rachel Alexandra are running this week-end!)

So...in honor of the history of Elmingo Stables, my dogs are named after racehorses owned and/or bred by my grandparents.

At Full Tilt was a handy horse and Red Hot Rumors was a neat horse that got his name due to getting some severe burns when he was a yearling. He grew up to win some races too. So, after racking my brains of years of horse names, Flip Your Lid came to mind. I need to call my grandpa to ask him more about this horse, as I don't remember much about her.

As an aside. How is Pedro you wonder?
Pedro is the 2 year old racehorse I own a share of.
He is at the track training and hopefully will make his first start in the next few months!

No comments: