July 15, 2008

Poor Radar

My friend Cheryl has a poor dog named Radar. The reason why Radar is classified as a "poor dog" is because he just had TPLO surgery. Now Radar has at least 3 months of very limited movement and re-hab, but a very dedicated owner to see him through it all.
Curciate Injuries are becoming more and more common it seems. I don't know if it's just me, or coincidence, but I'm noticing a lot more. With Labrador Retrievers, it can be a genetic cause or a straight traumatic cause. I know that cruciate injuries are definitely on my list of considerations when planning a breeding.
On the bright side though, TPLO offers the dogs suffering the injury the possibility of a full recovery. There are many, many instances of dogs returning to full activity, and competing again on the field trial circuit after surgery and re-hab.
Radar will be 100% before we know it.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Oooh poopr Radar is right!! I wish him a speedy recovery!!!!!!

manymuddypaws said...

Poor Guy! He looks mighty sore!
I know lots of dogs who have had cruciate injuries- unfortunatly it is becoming very common- even in pet-type dogs. I think that sometimes it can be caused by being overweight and over exerting as well. I'd be interested in learning more about the genetic link- have they done studies in labs about that?

Marcy said...

They (big ortho dudes) hypothesize that the Tibial Plateau Angle is genetic and a poor angle does in fact greatly increase the risk of cruciate injuries. Some "families" of dogs all seem to have blown their cruciate, while others have no family members that have. I'm lucky to have a family of cruciate clean dogs, but it doesn't mean they can't do it traumatically either.