July 31, 2008

Best friends

Darbi and Miikka are best friends.

It's a very comfortable relationship.

I have never seen either dog so much as raise a lip at the other. They share toys, couch space and their entire world with each other.

When one or the other dog is finished eating first, the other will sit politely and wait for the other dog to finish eating and check to see if their bowl is empty. What is very interesting, is that if the bowl is not empty, the other dog would never think of touching the food left in the bowl that is not theirs. The food will sit untouched in that bowl, all day.

Every stick or toy thrown for them is brought back in tandem no matter who retrieved it first.

People ask me who the "boss" is, and to be honest, I have no idea. One never tries to boss the other into anything. I'm sure Darbi is Queen Bee around here, but you'd never know by watching them interact. It is a relationship built on mutual respect.

It is heart-warming to see such a bond formed between my two favorite doggies.

We are hopefully bringing a new "pal" into the pack this fall. I'm sure the girls will let her join in with no fuss.

This pic was taken last week by my friend Liz. Thanks Liz!

2 comments:

manymuddypaws said...

i love their tandem retrieves. it is pretty cute..

that is very odd that they wouldn't eat each others food. in my house it is every dog for themselves :) especially when there is food involved!

Sarah said...

they really are good buddies!!! their personalities compliment each other well!!