July 19, 2008

Fun Times

So, last week-end I entered a Hunt Test on a lark. It's hard to explain the differences between field trials and hunt tests, but let's just say there's quite a few. It was a NAHRA test in Irricana and I had a great time with the girls. There was about 10 things in every test that my dogs had never seen before. Ducks calls, decoys, me carrying a "fake" gun, marks from wingers thrown towards us and overtop of us, running out of a boat, etc. etc.
I was hoping because we hunt the dogs a lot every fall they would not look too stupid.
This picture is of the first test on the first day. I had to sit inside the big goose decoy while the triple was being thrown. My girls were curious as to why I was sitting inside a giant goose for any reason whatsoever, but they went along with it.
Of course, this picture was taken by my friend Wendy with my iPhone...can't leave the iPhone out of the story.
Darbi got a Senior pass the first day, and Miikka was having a GREAT day until the last test, which is the trailing portion. She had never trailed in her life until 3 days before the test, so I expected her not to be successful. It was too bad, as she had near perfect work all day.
Neither of the girls got a pass the second day. The whole process was a little overwhelming for them, and the shorter marks threw them off. Miikka was just hitting 2nd gear about 100 yards deep of a mark on one test.
We had a great time though, the dogs had a hoot and I met some very nice people!

No comments: