August 13, 2012

Tired and happy

What a long week-end.

One thing for sure, it is a huge effort to put on a field trial and it does indeed take a village.  I could not have pulled it off without the help of many people.  Thank you to everyone.

The Centennial Trial mostly went off without a hitch and I have to say that I'm glad it's over.

I decided to only run Darbi this week-end as to focus on the trial.  I felt scattered every time I went to line with her, as I didn't get a chance to really watch test dogs, analyze tests or concentrate on the task of running a dog.

Well...Momma D took good care of me and we got FOURTH in an 86 dog Open.  It was amazing.  She was stylish, fun and showed her warrior heart.  She had a hunt on the flyer in the last series and that was her only bad bird of the trial.

The icing on the cake was that Kenny WON the trial with a dog we train named Danny.

The last series of the Open was a quad with three retired and Danny did it perfect.

Miikka's son Zink (Elmingo's Little Man) WON the Qualifying!!  Way to go Zink!!

And Darbi's Kids Ahti (Elmingo's Tic A Tee Boo) and Sleuth (Tartan Mystery Man Of Elmingo) both Jammed the Derby!

The idea of running Ahti to let her see what she's training for is really working!!  I didn't get a chance to see her run (Kenny ran her as I was too busy), but I hear she was a little trooper.

Miss Libby ran a brilliant first series and land blind in the Open, only to pick up the poison bird on the water blind...AGAIN.  Now it's a worry.  She's only two and 8 other dogs picked up the poison bird, including some very nice Field Champions, but we don't want it to become a bad habit.  There's always something to work on...it's never ending...and this one is glaring at us in the face with her.  We can cast her off poison birds easily en route to it, but if she can SMELL it running past...it's game over.

I'm exhausted and will have a nice rest today...and thankfully we have a bunch of tired dogs here too.


1 comment:

bill kennedy said...

Hey way to go Darby !!!!!! old girls rule.......

young males drool ...!!!!!

oh yeah congrats to Kenny and Danny too .....

bill