July 12, 2011

Getting closer

Miikka is getting closer to ovulation.  It "looks" like we'll do the first breeding to Arson on Saturday.  We're going to re-check her progesterone on Thursday to be sure.

We're doing a "side by side" Artifical Insemination with this breeding to protect Miikka's leg.

Miikka has been used as a "teaser" for Arson this past week while we collected him so we can ship some of his semen to a breeder in Australia...so she pretty much thinks he's a pervert.

Her leg is MUCH improved, but we still have a ways to go.

Some people have asked me if this injury was genetic, but I've been assured by people way smarter then me that it is not and it was due to wear of tear, much like any athlete can hurt their achilles.

A giant thank you goes out to Dr. Shmon in Saskatoon, who has been an invaluable resource, and to Dr. Burns, who's a reproduction vet by trade,  but he's who I see for everything and he's wonderful.

Miikka has an appointment with an ortho vet next week to carry forward with her treatment, which will include a moderate splint and some physio, which I've already started.

I'll do anything for the Peanut.

1 comment:

Sher said...

I "think" Dr. Shmon was our reference too. Uncommon name...