April 2, 2013

Thundershirt

Darbi is afraid of thunderstorms.  Poor thing.

She has gotten progressively worse the older she gets.  There is no manic behavior by any means, but she hides, shakes and pants until the storm has passed.

One time, while running her at a field trial, a thunderstorm was rolling through and she couldn't function.  She was swimming around in circles on the water blind and wouldn't respond to anything, so I just picked her up...for which she was very grateful.

I bought this Thundershirt for her and it has been very helpful.  She seems to just relax and not become so frightened.

During last year's Canadian National, a thunderstorm came in right before she was to run one of the series.  I thought to myself "well, this good run is over".  But I put on her Thundershirt as soon as I heard the first rumble, removed it immediately before she ran and she ran a great series!  Then I put her away with it back on.


I have heard of other success stories with the Thundershirt.  I know one trainer that has a nice field trial dog that has chronic bloat.  The dog bloated almost daily and they were at wits end and euthanasia was considered an option.  This dog now wears a Thundershirt nearly full time and he hasn't bloated since.

I know of another dog that is one of the Type A field trial dogs that can be crazy making.  This particular dog frantically barked, spun and...uh...pooped in the crate during training or travel.  The Thundershirt cured the dog of the behaviour WHILE the shirt was on.  No more barking or messes in the crate.  Amazing.

I'm not sure if it works for all dogs...but it seems to work.

No comments: