March 5, 2012

Red River

Just a little vent from me today.

Why is it so difficult for some judges to give out Green ribbons??  Why?

Please, judges, don't think you're withholding the ribbons from the pros, you're withholding them from the Amateurs that own those dogs.  If you say "it's no big deal", then you're wrong.  A green ribbon IS a big deal to some people...no matter the stake.

I'm not suggesting calling back bad work so that everyone feels warm and fuzzy.  I'm suggesting that dogs that finish a trial without a disqualifying fault or collection of faults is worthy enough of recognition of a ribbon that awards no points and qualifies no one for any Nationals.

Just because a judge lays an egg doesn't mean the contestants have to pay for it.

Phew...there it is.  That's my rant.

Anywho, the Red River trial happened this week-end in Bonham, Texas.

I could not be more pleased with how my sweet Darbi ran.  She ran a very nice first and second series.  Ran a better than most water blind and then had a very respectable fourth series with a hunt on the long retired.  I think you all know what I have to show for it.  And 12 other people feel the same as me today I suspect.

Libby was Loosey Goosey in the Qualifying.  She has a problem with check down birds right now and she is ALL punch these days.  We're working on it.  We're always working on something with these athletes.  There was a nice short bird thrown onto an island in a large channel of water and a longer bird behind it.  Libby went through the island bird...twice.  And that was that.  Short bird.  And short bird thrown in front of more water...definitely not Libby's strong points right now.  Give me a long retired at 400 yards and I'll show you a dog.  Give me a short bird thrown in front of water at 100 yards and I'll show you a dog that looks like a 14 year old girl who just got told Justin Bieber is down the street.

And don't even get me started on the Derby.

Sigh...I'm glad this week-end is over.

I'll be in a better mood next time you hear from me.  Promise.

No comments: