January 21, 2010

New Digs

Puppies have moved into their new accommodations. They have spent a few days learning how to eat and now are being weaned. I let Miikka in with them several times in the day of course as she is still nursing, just not as ambitiously as before. My belief on weaning is to take a gradual approach, with Miikka leading the way. She's told me she's ready, so I am obliging her.
The whelping box has been removed and a new "potty box" put in its place. Over the next week or so, the pups will learn to do all their business in this area. The first couple days they live in the box when I'm not with them and are let out into the play area when I, or Miikka, am in there. When they go potty, I pick them up and move them to the box and they quickly learn that this is where the bathroom area is.
Miikka has stayed shiny and healthy throughout. She has not lost any weight, but it is very clear that she is more than happy to let me start to take over. In a few days I'll start letting the pups loose in the basement to play with their momma, and Miikka will wear a t-shirt so they can't nurse. It's still important to let mom interact with her pups until they go home.

Still practising our cute face and getting quite good at it!!



Tired after our first session in the new digs.



Busy checking it all out.



Back to bed for a couple hours.

No comments: